----- Original Message ----- From: "Forrest W. Christian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 4:23 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] BLM fees

My understanding of how BLM fees work are as follows:

1) An empty communications building has very low, if any, fees.

Not in the past few years.  Expect as much as $5,400.00 a year for
an unloaded tower.
4) If you have a tower rent agreement which states that you have to pay BLM fees which are potentially not related to your operation, then you need to renegotiate, because you will end up paying for everyone else's use of the tower since your operation will generally not cause any fees to be incurred (or very low fees to be incurred), and it isn't fair for you to be subsidising everyone else's use of the tower.

Absolutely.

A couple of other things to be aware of - and some of this varies depending
on what area you are in.

1.  There WILL be a yearly inspection - at a minimum they will do an
inventory.   Some areas inspect EVERYTHING, they have been known
to climb on the roof of one of our buildings and check the roof. Their only complaint was a couple of small brush piles needed to be removed.

2.  The rates are NOT going to stay the same either.  They have realized
that this is a PROFIT center.  They need the money, so watch out.

3. Some of the areas have very difficult rules. We were doing a co-locate for a two way radio customer at one forest, about a 2 hour job, and they insisted on us having a written plan covering safety, emergencies, etc, (all of which we have) but also what to do if one
of the guys needed to use the restroom.  I asked them if they had a plan
if the deer needed to pee....