Felix A. Lopez wrote:
My recommendation is we should take John Scriv's note
with serious and sincerety.

Turns out this is basically a non-issue anyway. The postmaster there very much wanted to keep our service, but was told by the folks above her that the USPS is standardizing on a specific satellite service for all their rural locations, at least in this area. (One of our installers tried to sell another post office about fifteen miles away, and was told the same thing - someone in the USPS loves satellite.)

It makes sense, from the government's point of view - WISPs don't have 100% coverage. I know of at least one other post office in our area that we can't service, and (as far as I know) neither can any other local WISP. Satellite may be slow and expensive, but you can't beat the coverage area. Meanwhile, since the Postal Service is getting hundreds (or thousands, maybe) of locations set up, I'm sure they negotiated a sweetheart price.

David Smith
MVN.net

**
** THE INTERNET INDUSTRY EVENT **