Using Iptables, it is fairly straightforward, and can be
accomplished in Mikrotik as well.

I set up rules in a separate chain to allow access to certain things,
such as my payment server, DNS, and a couple of other things i
wanted to let even the restricted people access but then direct all
port 80 and 443 traffic (DstNAT) to my web server ip on port 88.

The web server is set up to serve one page only at that virtualhost, but
I think more importantly, it is also set up with ReDirect rules to catch
all URI's and redirect them to the one page, and it is ALSO set up to
instruct the browser to not cache those pages.

e.g.  http://yahoo.com/somthing/another/index.html is redirected
(transparently.. their address bar still shows that they are at yahoo.com,
but the page they see is my "you are restricted" page) as is
http://yahoo.com/ or google.com, none of which gives a 404 error
on my web server because of the ReWrite rules. However, my page
is not stored in their browser cache, so that when I turn them back on,
all they have to do is hit refresh and they immediately get the real
page they were attempting to get in the first place, not my (cached)
page.

I also have a link to my payment gateway on the restricted page,
and rules in ipchains to allow them to access it.

Since I do NOT know who might be using whomever's computer, I do not
specifically say on that page WHY they are restricted, as that might
be a violation of the customer's privacy. It might be their visiting
mother-in-law that was the first to see the "you haven't paid your
bill" message. Instead, I have a list of several possible reasons why
they are being restricted, including misconfiguration of their computer,
spamming, worms, viruses, non-payment, I made a mistake, etc....

D. Ryan Spott wrote:
> Hey Sam, want to elaborate? How do you do this?
>

> Thanks!
>
> ryan

John Vogel - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.vogent.net   620-754-3907
Vogel Enterprises, LLC
Information Services Provider serving S.E. Kansas