To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2007 6:09 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Non-paying Subs

I have a web server that is set up on an internal IP address which has only one page which states that there is a problem with the billing on the account. The web server is set to give that page as the 404 (page not found) page.

On my core router which is a mikrotik I have the following logic:
If traffic is from a restricted IP and it is DNS then allow it
If traffic is from a restricted IP and it is web traffic send it to captive web server.
If traffic is from a restricted IP and not matching the above reject it.

If you want the actual Mikrotik rules I'd be happy to send them along. This can also be done with iptables if you have a linux box acting as a router between your customers and the world. I'm sure most any stateful firewall/router will be able to do this sort of redirect.

We use to just turn people off and it would work, but once we added the "There is a problem..." page we got a lot more people getting their bill caught up faster. I don't know if it is because they weren't sure if there was a computer/network issue rather than a billing issue or if it was just because it was a constant explicit reminder every time they tried to use the computer.

   Sam Tetherow
   Sandhills Wireless

D. Ryan Spott wrote:
Hey Sam, want to elaborate? How do you do this?

Thanks!

ryan