From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Butch Evans
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 3:57 AM
To: Wispa List
Subject: [WISPA] CALEA

I just wanted to make a brief post relating a few experiences relating to
the CALEA "scare" that was recently the "talk of the town" (so to speak).  I
should preface this post with a bit of information that will give some
insight into how common (or not) law enforcement will or will not use CALEA
to get information from you/us.  I have about 225 customers in my database.
I work on a regular basis for about 15-20 of those each week.  Since April,
I have worked 4 cases with my customers (actually, it was 6, but 3 were
related) that were filed as CALEA actions.

Of these cases, 3 of my customers were using Mikrotik and 1 was using
ImageStream.  I can't reveal anything related to the cases, but I wanted to
help people understand what kind of information we are being asked for under
CALEA, and what that translates to in terms of capability requirements.

1. The first subpeona wanted to know who had a specific IP at a certain time
and date.  That was all that was requested.  This particular WISP has about
450 customers, and about 225 of those are using private IPs that are natted
at the border.  It so happened that the IP we were requested information
about was the NAT IP.  I called the officer who had requested the data and
explained the situation to him.  After an hour or so, he understood that
there is nothing we could do without more information.  The case was an
ongoing thing, and he was tracking contact to a specific website, so we were
able to determine a specific customer who was using that website.  We did
not tell the officer who it was, but we DID explain how he needed to word
his subpoena so that we COULD get him what he wanted.  After he got the
legal jargon to match the technical requirements of our capabilities, we
were able to capture and provide him with the communications he was needing.

2. The next 3 were related to one another (sort of).  In this case, the
subpeona asked for customer billing records and login information for the
past year for 3 IP addresses.  We had part of this information (this WISP
used public IP addresses for all his customers).  Since the subpeona
requested historical information, we were somewhat limited in what we could
provide, but we did get the required information and LEA was happy.

3. The other 2 were not related but were similar.  They asked for telephone
information that the targets made between a couple of dates in the past.
Since the WISPs in both cases were not the provider of the VoIP (they were
just the transport) service, we explained to the LEA that the information
they are seeking would not be available at the WISP, eventually they went
elsewhere for their information (I guess), but the WISPs, in the end, did
not provide ANY customer data to the LEA.

The point I am making here is that all of the information requested in all 3
cases, was easily obtainable using equipment available within the WISP
networks already.  We used information that the Mikrotik and/or Imagestream
enabled us to gather, log files and RADIUS logs to gather login information
and capturing of data along with their business records to answer all 6
subpeonas (7 if you count the one that had to be re-done).

In all cases, the law enforcement officer who was our first contact was not
technically capable of understanding what they wanted/needed, but without
fail, there WERE people at the agencies involved who were.  Of these
subpeonas, 3 were from the FBI, 2 were local LE and 1 was homeland security.

Incidentally, none of these WISPs spent any extra money to be compliant
(other than some legal work that had to be done).  Billing for my time cost
less than $350 (much less in some cases) to help gather necessary
information.  All of these (I think) ended up billing these costs to the LEA
and as far as I know, they got their direct expenses back.

I got another call today to assist with a subpoena and it got me thinking
about the others.  I just thought this information may be useful/educational
to some on this list.

--
Butch Evans
573-276-2879