On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 04:22:19PM -0800, rabbtux rabbtux wrote:
> So, I'm their first beta tester in my area and they have this used
> Redback router.  First there were problems that were to be solved with
> a firmware upgrade, now they have a hardware failure without a spare.
> I'm not familiar with this router at all, but discussed it with their
> sysadmin.

Redback should be good stuff, if they didn't get one that someone drug
out of a dumpster.

> Apparently the need is for something that can handle 2000 sessions
> and has full 100Mbps NICs and can support that speed. I'm not a pppoe
> expert, but would a decent PC, with 4/8GB of RAM and mikrotik SW
> installed handle something like this???  Butch? or other MT experts?
> Or is this requirement way out of the MT league?

I have heard of 8,000 sessions terminated on a Cisco 7200VXR with an
NPE-G1.

I currently have just over 1,700 PPPoEoATM sessions on our used VXR
doing about 28Mbps of DSL traffic and our backhaul running about 50Mbps
for all of our services (DSL/Wireless/Hosting/Dialup) and it's not
working hard.

To do that on a PC, with as high an expectation of reliability, I'd
probably have spent close to the same amount of money to get high grade,
highly redundant parts.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]