From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Clint Ricker
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 9:24 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] pppoe server, Redback capability of other solutions?

I admit that I'm biased against Mikrotik.  It's good for what it is,
but it's value is primarily in its price / flexibility.  It's not
exactly...telco/carrier grade, or however you want to put it.  It's
fine as edge gear, but, not what I'd put in a core role like this.

Perhaps in terms of getting it up and running, you may be quicker with
something that you know and have a good feel for--ie intel hardware
running Mikrotik.  However, in terms of reliability, uptime, and
scalability, (and I'd assume configuration options) Redback is the way
to go.  If you want something that is a little more flexible, go Cisco
(but, you'd pay more for comparable performance).  Price wise,
Redback's are very attractive and very easy to get spare equipment
for.

Plus, you get _good_ hardware.  Not "throw CPU cycles at it and keep
some extra boxes in the closet for when it chokes good"; I mean "swap
out failed power supplies / Ethernet cards / CPUs without any
downtime" sort of good.  Using PCs / Mikrotik is good when   you can't
get your hands on good gear at a reasonable cost.  That's not the case
in this situation...

-Clint Ricker
Kentnis Technologies

ps...Please don't turn this into a flame war :).  I realize people
here love Mikrotik, and it has its purposes.  However, in terms of
field tested performance and reliability for PPPoE, Mikrotik is a PC
based platform that has relatively few PPPoE deployments running under
relatively light loads whereas Redback had a really large install base
for high volume PPPoE termination and generally proved itself to be a
very solid and scalable platform.

----

----

----