Maybe take the question one step further....

Often Email, DNS management, and Webhosting get done on different servers
and/or different operating systems.
And integrated software package, on a per server bases, would not adequately
solve management, without tripling the cost, under the above situation.
Additionally, solving configuration automation, is have the battle, somehow
it also has to integrate with billing. So which billing platforms it
integrates with could also be a key buying factor.

Considering all the above... What product best handles the above for the
lowest price? Any of them allow a multiple server prooduct?
Microsoft did this with there Small business servers. Even though only one
license for each product (SQL, Exchange, FileServer) was granted, each
application could be co-located on any server, as long as each application
was not running on more than one server.  For example, currently our Mail,
accounting, webserving runs on Windows, but DNS on Linux.

We were looking for a good program to manage DNS zones and registrar
renewal, beyond just manual bind file management, but don't so web hosting
per say.  (except limited capacity).

My opinion is, a monthly fee really isn't all that bad for software,
compared to paying higher per customer cost of a managed solution. If all
the automated needs were solved, maybe very well worth it.  But to replicate
the cost, by three X, because one runs dedicated servers for individual
applications, I think that would be a bit much.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband