And I have always been a believer in the model, IF there is something they are providing me month after month. We have plesk servers that we purchased the license for 2 years ago that we have never upgraded, never called for support (which is in addition to the monthly license fee), etc. I needed something, I paid for it, and both parties are happy.

The most irritating thing to me is when someone tries to "create" a monthly recurring business for something that should not be. For each of my customers, I provide a service, every month. So they pay me, every month. Software is NOT a recurring business model.

Travis
Microserv

David E. Smith wrote:
Maybe take the question one step further....

My opinion is, a monthly fee really isn't all that bad for software,

But you've gotta admit the flat-fee (especially when the flat price was
$100 instead of $1300) is an even better deal :D

Most of us are in the "recurring revenue" business, collecting fees from
our end-users month after month. It's a nice business model. Doesn't mean
we can't complain about it when it works to our detriment instead of our
benefit :P

David Smith
MVN.net