Mark,

I doubt the ohmeter will tell you anything. The gas tube is supposed to
measure "open". It's job is to conduct only when lightning needs to be
shorted to ground instead of going through your equipment.

Put the arrestor inline between an antenna and a radio. If the radio
works as well after installation as it did before then the arrestor is
"probably" OK, assuming the gas tube isn't bad. After a lightning storm,
if your radio stills works as well as it did before the storm then you
know the gas tube is probably good.

If you think the gas tube is probably bad then just replace it with a
new one.

jack

Mark McElvy wrote:
> I have some Altelicon glass tube lightning surge arresters. I am trying
> to figure out how to test then to see if they are good. I have used an
> ohm meter to compare a new one with an old one I suspected to be bad but
> all reads the same. The replaceable glass tube measures open on bothe
> old and new.
>

> Mark McElvy
> AccuBak Data Systems, Inc.

Jack Unger - President, Ask-Wi.Com, Inc.
Serving the Broadband Wireless Industry Since 1993
Cisco Press Author - "Deploying License-Free Wireless WANs"
Vendor-Neutral Wireless Design-Training-Troubleshooting-Consulting
FCC License # PG-12-25133 Profile <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jackunger>
Phone 818-227-4220  Email <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>