Larry Yunker wrote:

> 3) Continue the green/yellow/red results indicator theme to the "My Internet
> Settings" items also.  But I guess there would be no case for a yellow ball;
> only green or red.  An IP Address 169.254.x.x, for example, should show a
> RED ball as that is a common failure.

Not necessarily. I just discovered that, by default, Motorola Canopy
clients, when running as NAT, default to 169.254.1.x. This may not be a
wise choice, but it's one you may run into.

Also, some WISPs actually use RFC1918 space for their whole network,
essentially NATting everyone. In that case, the fact that your "publicly
visible" IP address (as seen by a Web server in the ISP's NOC) is a
private address isn't automatically bad or wrong.

This will probably have to be a compile-time option (or set up in the
.ini), where certain blocks of IP space are "good" or "bad."

> I didn't build an upload... I could use some suggestions on
> this.  I'm struggling with how to handle usernames and passwords (both for
> FTP and EMAIL authentication).  I don't want to hard code the accounts into
> the compiled software and I ideally don't want to expose the account
> information in a clear text INI file.

Just do HTTP POST and upload a "file" (or a bunch of randomly-generated
data) to a Web server somewhere. You can time the upload on the client
side (since you know exactly how much data you're sending), and the Web
server could easily be configured simply to discard the uploaded data.
This might be a bit less precise than, say, timing an FTP upload, but
it's more portable and easier to configure server-side. A page that
simply takes uploaded data and discards it would probably take about ten
minutes to write in most any server-side scripting language.

> 13) Add a check box option for the customer to have the user check program
> automatically start when they start their computer.
>
> - Hmmm.... I hate start-up programs but I'll leave this one open to
> consensus as well.  Would this be useful?

I'd prefer this to be a simple troubleshooting tool, not something that
runs all the time. I can already see the phone calls from customers. "My
ball turned yellow three times yesterday for eight minutes! I want a
credit on my account!"

David Smith
MVN.net