My suspicion had been that the wrong question was asked in the survey.

A survey that was richer in probes a couple of years ago placed "Always
on" at the top of the list of "broadband" benefits.

Some sub-questions revolved around the convenience of not blocking the
phone but the very top of the lise was the fact that when any question
popped into your mind, the PC was immediately ready to answer.  One
example was the phone directory; with dial-up, it takes longer to go
through the dial-up process than looking it up in the phone book but with
always-on broadband, the PC is clearly much faster and gives a richer span
of options.

Going through the buzz-saw noises and minute of sign-on is a put-off for
all but regular uses (like checking e-mail...which always-on users often
do several times a day and this survey reported that dial-up users did it
several times a week).

Yet, you're right...John McCain said he didn't know how to use a computer
last week and the ex-president of AT&T (until last year) said he didn't
either and found e-mail intrusive and useless.  I bet they live in big,
expensive homes.  Maybe that's the key;  I'll just get rid of my computers
and "puff", the magic cloud will transform my house into a mansion.

. . . J o n a t h a n