To summarize, it details to the amount of interference you are willing to
accept on your system

That said, for "standard" operations in Part 101, due to the fact that the
rules were written back in the early 90s for analogue microwave systems, the
interference threshold of a licensed system can be summarized as follows (keep
in mind, you can easily poke holes into my response, so bear with this
oversimplification)

Part 101 Interference Threshold is ~40 dB BELOW the minimum threshold of your
licensed modulation

That said...say I have a radio that as a result of operating at 64 QAM, has a
minimum receive threshold of -68 dBm
Chances are, when I build the link, I will plan for some amount of fade margin
(say 30 dB here), so my nominal receive threshold for the link is -38 dBi
That said, when I'm talking about this 40 dB buffer, I'm talking 40 dB below
the MINIMUM threshold, so if I were to license a system in the area on the same
channel, the co-channel noise that I would be able to pick up from you must be
40 dB BELOW -68, or ~ -108 dBm

In this particular situation, if you were running in 11 GHz, as a result of
using a 2' dish, you may change the allowable "interferable" noise flow from
-108 (40 dB below -68) ro -78 (40 dB below -38)

Again, in the unlicensed world, 10-15 dB above the noise floor is considered to
be pretty good -- anything above that with some level of protection is
incredible, and in the lower bands (!1 & 6 GHz) where it may be hard to fit a
system in a geographical area at a specific interference/noise level, taking in
an extra 10-20 dB of noise (when I've got 60+ dB of fade margin) isn't too much
of an issue

-Charles

WiNOG Wireless Roadshows
Coming to a City Near You