From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On
Behalf Of Matt Ferre
Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2008 4:38 PM
To: wireless@wispa.org
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Nanostations

It's not about the upload speed, it's about the packets per second.
Get just one customer with computer infected with some decent virus
and it will generate 5000 packets per seconds, which may account to
only 256kbps in raw traffic terms. But with regular Access Point this
will bring your AP to the knees or even worse and there is NOTHING you
can do about it. You could try to limit packet per second that
customer but it will only happen after the traffic hits Access Point
and will not stop the viri operation. Or get some customer with few
uncapped p2p apps and you will see pretty much the same.

Sorry, polling is the only way to go. Every mature network type uses
some type of polling scheme (from cellular 'time slots' through WiMAX
to all MMDS systems) and it's there for a reason. And it's one really
good reason - performance.

Matt

I see where you are getting at, but it isn't really relevant, at

least

the way I have my network setup.   None of my customers have an

upload

that gets to even 40% (I don't do symmetrical upload, so the highest
upload we offer is 2meg) and the access points handle it pretty

easily

at that rate.

If you are offering a symmetrical service, then I will concede that
polling is an important consideration.   It is pretty easy to work
around it if you are not offering symmetrical service, however.

Matt Larsen
vistabeam.com

---------