Why not just the normal, regular version?

Blair Davis wrote:
Travis Johnson wrote:
I would place an order for 500 Nanostations (5ghz units) for the $119 price running ROS today. Who do I make the P.O. out to? :)
If you were able to place a P.O for a 2-3 thousand licenses to fit the NS 2/5 mikrotik would likely deal....  Just show them the money.

But, what features do we really want in an NS version of mikrotik ROS?

Travis
Microserv

Matt Ferre wrote:
Because that would:

1. affect sales of routerboard hardware which they have complete
control on, on which they already spent a lot of money for development
and which (obviously) they prefer to sell,

2. could potentialy lead to situation same as with x86 version of MT,
which was supposed to be dropped from development recently only
because 99% of the users use 'emule' free version instead of paying
for the license.

3. the low end market you refer to, which may look like they want to
buy $40 RouterOS, won't do it. They are low end and additional $40 for
software license is not what they will afford, not in any reasonable
quantity anyway. But they would just LOVE point two to happen, which
would then seriously help point 1 to happen.

StarOS was supposed to be ported to LS2 long time ago, there ever were
official announcements about it happening. But then, that never
happened. Wonder why (perhaps because StarOS too has their own
hardware to sell and same reasons as Mikrotik, perhaps only in smaller
amplitude).

Matt