> Note: What is "standard"? Trango is not "standard 802.11", it is a
> proprietary product. Therefore its appropriate that its MIBs may not be
> "802.11" standard MIBs.
> I'm not saying that it is not good for vendors to standardize. But
> manufacturers may have a larger goal such as backward compatibility to
> their
> pre-existing proprietary platform.
> It would really stink, for someone that wrote a bunch of tools to a set of
> MIBS, and then have to redo all the work because the MIBs changed.

My theory is that there will be plenty of things that are "generic" enough
that it won't matter whether you're using real-802.11, modified-802.11, or
some other proprietary system. Just about any radio link will have a
signal level and a noise level, for instance. Just about any radio link
will have a center frequency and a channel width. Hopefully, every radio
interface will be passing traffic (that sort of thing is trackable easily
enough on a per-client basis, but many APs in PtMP systems don't give you
an easy way to monitor throughput to each individual client from the AP).
And those are just things off the top of my head, that various radios in
my network don't export in some manner.

There are probably plenty of other things that are fairly common in any
radio link, and I'm really hoping to just put together a nice simple
standardized way for any given wireless vendor to make sure they've
covered all the stuff that WISPs need to manage effectively their
networks. There's no reason that Trango, or any other vendor, can't
continue to offer these statistics under their own private enterprise MIBs
too in addition to some hypothetical WISPA MIB. :)

David Smith
MVN.net