Interesting....Choice.

I think its worthy to note several things...

1) Broadband is only one of the many issues the FCC regulates, and may not
be the core reason a commissioner is chosen.

2) The term, "Telecom", can mean all or any of CLEC, ILEC, BabyBell.  Its
relevent to understand which telecom interests that Rivera represented, to
understand who he is. Anyone know more about which?

3) Some of the biggest Wireless supporters (the current and last
commissioners) were also the biggest Monopoly RBOC supporters.  So what is
best for Wireless providers is not necessary what is best for all other
Internet competitive issues.

There has been a huge amount of negative critism on the last two
commissioners over their terms, in the area of undoing the Telecom Act of
1996. But it should be well noted, Martin was the LARGEST supporter to give
TV Whitespaces back to "the people".  Licensed-Lite or Unlicensed, either
way, its to WISP's interests, as "Back to the People".

What will be interesting is whether Rivera's position on "fairness
doctrine", will translate to small business ownership of the PIPE, to
equalize control of the Internet "media". Government controlling versus
Government reglulations to empower under provellenged third parties, both
accomplish the same goal, the second without the "big brother" mentality and
without risking the larger powers turning Broadband into the world
controlled by a handful of "Kings".

Regardless of what political view one might have, this current presidential
Election will nodoubt bring "change."  Only time will tell whether this
change will be for the better or worse.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband