++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
<insert witty tagline here>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom DeReggi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] OT election results - probable new chairman named

> Interesting....Choice.
>
> I think its worthy to note several things...
>
> 1) Broadband is only one of the many issues the FCC regulates, and may not
> be the core reason a commissioner is chosen.

I stated I don't think he was chosen for internet interests.   It was
broadcast interests.

> 2) The term, "Telecom", can mean all or any of CLEC, ILEC, BabyBell.  Its
> relevent to understand which telecom interests that Rivera represented, to
> understand who he is. Anyone know more about which?

Can't say.   There might some industry papers or whatnot that detail what
he's done or thinks.   I could only find activist stuff aabout him...  That
was either for or against him.  Or more accurately, against him, or activst
groups that considered him an ally.   That's not a lot, but he has a long
long resume in lawyering, mostly about broadcasting and telephone companies.

> 3) Some of the biggest Wireless supporters (the current and last
> commissioners) were also the biggest Monopoly RBOC supporters.  So what is
> best for Wireless providers is not necessary what is best for all other
> Internet competitive issues.
>
> There has been a huge amount of negative critism on the last two
> commissioners over their terms, in the area of undoing the Telecom Act of
> 1996. But it should be well noted, Martin was the LARGEST supporter to
> give
> TV Whitespaces back to "the people".  Licensed-Lite or Unlicensed, either
> way, its to WISP's interests, as "Back to the People".

I think we agree on the principle, at least.   However, the people that
consider Rivera an ally do NOT believe that, and believe that private
enterprise is a failure.   This doesn't say a lot about Rivera, but it does
indicate what he has actively supported.

> What will be interesting is whether Rivera's position on "fairness
> doctrine", will translate to small business ownership of the PIPE, to
> equalize control of the Internet "media". Government controlling versus
> Government reglulations to empower under provellenged third parties, both
> accomplish the same goal, the second without the "big brother" mentality
> and
> without risking the larger powers turning Broadband into the world
> controlled by a handful of "Kings".

Again, no proponent of the fairness doctrine believes in private enterprise
as valid when it comes to delivery.   Again, this is about broadcast - and
the controversy is about radio and tv -  and I can't say it has a lot of
relevance to internet or ISP issues, except that it tends to be an indicator
as to whether or not they defend free enterprise and free markets.

> Regardless of what political view one might have, this current
> presidential
> Election will nodoubt bring "change."  Only time will tell whether this
> change will be for the better or worse.

I'm sure you can deduce that my opinion and prognostication is "no good" or
"much worse".

For the most part, our industry can survive and actually thrive, as either a
mainstream industry or niche industry, despite almost all threats except
regulation.   Against that, there is no amount of brains or creativity or
strategizing or prudence or wisdom which can be a shield.  It is the only
thing gauranteed to be 100% lethal.

There ARE still makers of buggies, buggy whips, and iron tired wheels.  They
come and go regularly.   There hasn't been a new car maker of significance
started in a half century.   It is simply impossible to overcome the
regulatory hurdles, thus we now have 3 that Congress is determined to "bail
out" at your expense.

There will not be a maker of incandescant lights.   They are now banned, as
of 2012.  Yup, you gotta use those mercury spreading things known as CFL's.
I expect to buy myself a lifetime supply of regular lights and stock up.
If you break just ONE CFL in a home,  there's enough mercury in the powdered
insides to make the inside of your house legally uninhabitable.

Sorry, I just have very little faith in the meddling if big brother in my or
your life.   I have no evidence to suggest it works well.