From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Travis Johnson
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:36 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] WiMax delays?

I didn't say Trango... ;)

Mikrotik AP's can be built for $400 including your choice of antenna
(omni, sector, etc.). That's 1/3 the price of a Canopy AP, and it
delivers twice the bandwidth in the same spectrum. So I can install
three seperate AP's for the same price as one Canopy AP.

Also, CPE's can be built for as little as $160 (we use a higher quality
antenna, so we are closer to $180). Compare that with Canopy at $250ish
(including PoE and dish). That doesn't even include all the other
"stuff" you have to have with Canopy (GPS units, Prizm servers, etc.)

Travis
Microserv

3-dB Networks wrote:
> Can you please explain to me how Trango is 1/3 the price of Canopy?  Last
> time I checked with was roughly the same price.
>
> Daniel White
> 3-dB Networks
>
>   _____

;)

> Travis
> Microserv
>
> Chuck McCown - 3 wrote:
>
> If you hang out over at [EMAIL PROTECTED] you will find more than a
hundred

> WISPs, many of them very small operations from 100-1000 subscribers that
are

> 100% canopy.  And generally speaking they are kicking butt and taking
names
> in their markets.  I disagree that Canopy is not marketed to the smaller
> WISPS.  It costs a little more to deploy but you earn it back with a fixed

> guaranteed latency, high priority for voip, 10 mbps burst and many other
> features that keep the customer happy and retained.  Come to AF09 and see
> how Motorola markets to the smaller WISPS.  Moreover their new 430 line
> delivers better performance for the price than Redline or Alvarion.  And
> they are still innovating.
>
> While I will admit I have a vested interest in seeing Canopy continue to
> have legs, I don't think my opinions are unfounded.
>
> It is funny how the Canopy product line is so polarizing in this industry.

> I picked it entirely by chance.  It was either Canopy or Proxim.  I am
glad
> I picked what I picked.  Many others picked Trango.  They are able to make

> it work and earn money.  I know of some folks that abandoned Trango for
> Canopy.  Don't personally know anyone who went the other way but I am sure

> that someone will educated me to that situation as soon as I press the
send
> button.
>
> I don't understand human psychology well enough to even begin to explain
why

> this is such a polarizing topic.  Cognitive dissonance seems to come into
> play.

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

----