Doug,

The only way to tell if using shielded cable would work is to try it.
Every high-power (radio tower) situation is unique. Most tower problems
occur on high-power FM towers where the FM frequency is close to the
Ethernet frequency but problems can easily exist on AM towers too
depending on AM transmit power levels, proximity to your cabling,
effectiveness of your shielding and grounding, filters internal to and
external from your equipment, etc. This topic (with examples) can be
discussed endlessly but each and every tower is going to be unique so if
you want a quick and correct answer then I'd suggest just going ahead
and trying it. Do your best on the initial shielding and grounding to
get the best result then see if that is good enough to meet your needs.

jack

Doug Ratcliffe wrote:
> We've had for many years access to a non-live AM radio tower (by non-live,
> the antennas are mounted on the sides of the tower, insulated, look like long
> steel cables).  For a long time we ran AC to the top, into a small
> choke/transformer (some little gizmo) that filtered the AM radio signal,
> along with a fiber cable to the bottom.  A lightning strike zapped all the
> equipment a few years ago, and we never replaced it.  The time has come that
> we need to put equipment on it again.
>
> I'd like to move towards running POE to the bottom, and at the top would be
> Nanostations 2/5's.  The tower is 160 ft tall self-supporting.  I was
> thinking about running shielded twisted pair cable.  In the past we've been
> able to run short lengths of CAT5 at the top from the main power box, but the
> last time any experimentation was done with CAT5 was with a former partner,
> and the now deceased engineer that used to run the radio station.
>
> Would the shielded cable remove the interference/static charge/etc or is this
> just not possible?

Jack Unger - President, Ask-Wi.Com, Inc.
Serving the Broadband Wireless Industry Since 1993
Cisco Press Author - "Deploying License-Free Wireless WANs"
WISPs - Do you know where your customers are?
For wireless coverage mapping see http://www.ask-wi.com/mapping
FCC Lic. #PG-12-25133 LinkedIn Profile <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jackunger>
Phone 818-227-4220  Email <jun...@ask-wi.com>