Patrick Nix Jr. wrote:
> For those who may be using Google's branded services for ISPs can
> someone tell me where to go to find more information and how is it
> working for you.

If I were starting a new outfit today, I'd probably just let them do all
the hard work, and host all my users' email. Domain names and Web
hosting are dirt-cheap, and if you want to be "just" an Internet access
provider, not doing any hosting and having relatively little
server-room-type infrastructure, it's a good way to save a few bucks.

For a pre-existing outfit, though, migrating to Google Apps could be
tricky. For us, the one really big stumbling block was the fact that
most of our users use POP3 and something like Outlook Express or
Thunderbird. When last I looked into this, the Google Apps API wouldn't
let you enable POP3 and IMAP automatically. We'd have been forced to
have someone manually log into every mailbox and turn that on.

(They said it was to force users to accept their TOS, but I can't escape
the feeling that Google wants people to use the Web interface because
that's where the ads are; forcing that initial login gives them a free
shot at showing you the Gmail interface, which admittedly is awfully
attractive.)

David Smith
MVN.net