I'm following this thread trying to pick up a general rule of thumb to
start out with for down tilt (I have 2.4 systems though).

I've seen three different methods of calculating it specified.

1). Downtilt enough so all your customers fall within the main lobe's -3
db line.
2). Downtilt so that your beam is focused half-way to your recommended
coverage.
3). Downtilt so that you reach the furthest customer in your projected
coverage area.

These all seem mutually exclusive, unless I'm missing something.

Regards
Michael Baird