On Fri, 2009-05-01 at 18:36 -0700, Tom Sharples wrote:
> This works too :-)
>
> iptables -A INPUT -s 213.165.154.53/24 -j DROP

It does for sure.  The only problem is that this one host is not the
only one to be concerned about.  If you have a router at the border of
the network that has the capability of watching the network for this
type of behaviour and responding to it, then I'd suggest adding that
function there.

The denyhosts script that Josh suggested works, but it is a reactive
script.  In other words, it watches the log file and does what you
suggest automatically.  At least that's what I saw the first time I
looked at it.

A better approach is the one that Eje suggested.  His suggestion uses a
router (probably Mikrotik in his case) that watches for this behaviour
and drops all traffic from this host automatically.  You can do this
with Mikrotik, ImageStream or any other OS that includes iptables and
the "recent module".  It's not even that hard to do.

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://www.wispa.org/         * WISPA Board Member               *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * Wired or Wireless Networks       *