On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 17:51 -0400, Patrick Shoemaker wrote:
> There's another linux program out there called BFD that does the same
> thing: parses logs and creates IPTABLES rules, but it doesn't use
> python. Google it and see if it will work for your application.

Again, this is a good approach, but is (for my taste) a little to
reactive.  The approach that Eje was speaking of is more proactive.  It
is the same approach that I take when providing firewall applications to
my own customers.  It goes a little like this:

Create a firewall for the router itself that will explicitly permit all
of the traffic you wish to allow to connect via ftp or ssh.  How you
accomplish this is up to you.

Watch for connections by ssh/ftp/other that are NOT valid.  Grab the
source address of those offending ssh attacks.

In the firewall that protects your network, deny all traffic from those
that were detected as attempting to connect to your firewall router.

Watch for NEW ssh connections and set some reasonable limit for how
often a specific IP may attempt a new ssh connection.  You have to pick
the right number here in order to prevent false positives.  It's all
about finding an appropriate rate of new connection attempts.

If an IP "trips" the above set of rules, then deny them further traffic
into the network.

It's really not that complicated.  It's not "easy" maybe, but not
complicated.  You simply have to have a router with some decent firewall
capability (iptables based).

> Also, this might go without saying, but I'd recommend against applying
> any router-based rules to customer subnets. That approach is ripe for
> unintended consequences, and can create a troubleshooting nightmare for
> your customers.

I disagree.  Done right, you don't have "unintended consequences".  And
even if you do, it's rather easy to take care of those as they come
up.

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://www.wispa.org/         * WISPA Board Member               *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * Wired or Wireless Networks       *