On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 07:59:09AM -0500, David E. Smith wrote:
> On Fri, May 1, 2009 7:56 am, 3-dB Networks wrote:
> > Not at all.  I have the controller and access points picked out, just need
> > the radius server for the CC processing and authentication for the
> > controller to talk to.
>
> I'm still a bit confused, I guess - RADIUS doesn't have anything to do
> with credit cards. It's purely authentication/authorization (i.e. here's a
> name and password, do they get in, yes/no).

It is also accounting.

The billing system feeds the RADIUS database who is allowed to
authenticate and what they are allowed to do.  RADIUS collects
accounting infomation, how long connected, how many bits transefered and
at which hotspot.  Billing eats the accounting information from RADIUS
and uses that as input to the authentication and authorization phase.

You might want to look at DaloRADIUS, as a hotspot oriented management
frontend to FreeRADIUS.  I've not used it, so cannot vouch for it.  Just
hear it mentioned a lot on the FreeRADIUS mailing lists.

lamb...@lambertfam.org