Brad said...

"Again, in the end the property owner will prevail as they should.  It is
after all their property and they should have final say what happens to
their property.  If their decisions are poor and result in lost lease
revenue than they'll be gone soon enough and maybe the new owner will see
the benefit to allowing the right additional providers into the property.
The market always works these issues out themselves."

No it does not. It should work it self out, but it doesn't. Because people
in control of multi-million if not billion dollar property understand
prooperty not broadband, and they greedilly milk every dollar they can,
because it is what their core business trains them to do. The property
owners have little to loose to experiement with the broadband market and
push the limits even if result to failure. Broadband is not relevent enough
to their bottom line to matter.  The truth is at the end of the day when a
tenant has a choice to incur a $100,000 expense to move offices, or an exta
$100 to change broadband providers to accommodate the landlord, the tenant
always gives in.  The prospective broadband providers are the ones that
loose in the end. Industry Progress is delayed.

The comment that after all its there property is not a fully accurate
statement.  The real owner is the state. They prove that everytime they send
the property tax bill, and prove that they can seize your property within
weeks, if you fail to pay that property tax bill.  Ultimately, the state
indirectly holds title to your land and used space within their state. It is
the state that prevents the building of new towers, and states the
acceptable use of areas within that state. Which includes access to reach
the space above tenant buildings.  A teannt building is consuming valuable
space that is required to reach the area above buildings. When the building
is there, a tower can't be built. Therefore it should be fully within the
state's power to ask to easement on that structure that is preventing access
to the air space. Just like a state can demand right of ways for their roads
and utilities, those same provisions should be extended to gain access to
teh space above buildings.

The world is three dimenional, why should there only be provisions to reach
areas horizontally. Verticle can't be left behind. or we waste space in a 3
deminsion world.  Why is it OK to go verticle down into the earth, but not
verticely up?

I am fully for making ISPs responsible for "real" costs associated with wear
and tear on space they gain easements for.  But restricting access is wrong.

What people forget is that when someone buys land they have not bought the
right to a specific height into the sky.  Do builders have the right to
build a building that blocks my LOS or Blocks my beautiful view? The answer
is no, building codes can restrict how high buildings are allowed to be
built. And if someone builts one high blocking my vioew and blocking my
airway LOS, it is there obligation to help me get around the evil
obstruction that they put in front of me, by giving me access to their roof.
to accomplish it..

Now, whether I ahve the right to come intop their house, to serve inside
their building, well thats a different arguement. That is combated by saying
tenants are entitled to basic utilities. And I think broadband should have
equal rights to electric, water, and phone. What makes the electric any more
important than broadband? A builder is REQUIRED to install electric in
commercial buildings just like they are required to install sprinklers for
fire safety.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband