> The big difference is that a car loan is tied to your personal credit,
> just like a credit card,

So are most business loans, when they are made to a small business. I've yet
to find a traditional lender willing to consider my business on its own.
We just aren't large (signficant) enough, in their minds.  So a car loan
ONLY had personal colladeral.  Wireless Gear has BOTH personal colladeral
AND business colladeral and future generated revenue. Clearly that is a step
up over a car loan's colladeral. The ONLY advantage a Car Loan adds, is
every American is a prospective buyer.  But they also forget, that every one
is selling, so there is a lot of competition for the liquidation.  A
Wireless radio is a like a money tree, and the car is the opposite that
consumes money off the tree. Clearly the wireless radio is the safer bet.

> That said, I wonder if a case be made on financing secured by monthly
> recurring revenue...thoughts?

I guess we can argue that they already ask for financials, to look at
monthly net profit. But a lender would never really care about revenue,
because they'd never want to wait to sell your business to collect on a
multiples of revenue. Thats what investors do.  All leasors care about is
how the payment is going to be made.

What I will say is... Is I had successfully gotten a loan, by bringing in
and showing the bank new signed long term monthly revenue contracts. Showing
the new money that would be earned, if the loan was given.  That worked. The
side effect was.... 1) when they saw how much profit there was for the
borrower, they raised the interest to try to get a higher piece of the
action. 2) They wanted the contract term (length) to match the loan term
(payback schedule).  But for the borrower, the risk was significantly
increased and growth potential significantly compromised, being forced to do
a 1 yr loan for a 1 yr broadband contracts. Meaning, almost 100% of revenue
went to pay the loan payment.  This didn't meet the need of the bank or
borrower based on risk. The secret was getting long term contracts (3yr),
from customers.  But its hard to get 3yr contracts from new subs that never
tried a new wireless technology before. They always want to try it before
they commit to it long term. So a catch 22 from the start.  The other
problem was... they then asked, what if the customer cancels, because you
don;t provide your SLA.  It was just to complicated for the average lendor,
as average lenders generally re-sell the loans, and need to be able to
easily justify the loan.

But lending by monthly revenue does make sense, if the borrower can find a
lender they can really talk to.  The trick to prove is that there is a
replicatable profit from every dollar of revenue, even if it is not shown on
the books because it typically is reinvested by choice. Once a lender
understands that, reporting and measuring revenue growth is one of the
easiest things to provide and prove to a lender.
For example, if your lender is your bank, they have the bank records to
prove and see your deposits.

There are programs already based around this for high risk borrowers. They
look at your monthly credit card transaction or monthly bank deposits, and
then give credit limit based on how much that is, and do auto payments from
that source.  Meaning the have a mechanism to take fro mthe revenue first.
The only problem is they ONLY look at revenue, not at your business, and
therefore label you high risk, and charge loan shark rates. I've seen it
offered as high as 35-40% interest.

I still think the only thing they'll ever consider is cash flow, and what
has to be done is to get a lender willing to seperate what costs on your
balance sheet didn;t have to be costs. Meaning what could be the company
cash flow, IF the monthly profit was not re-invested? A lender has to
understand your business to understand that.   Which again is the problem.

My personal opinion is there is no answer to the problem. The only answer is
to be patient, and chip away at the problem every day, until the company can
emerge to the stage that has healthy cash flow, and is worthy in the eyes of
the traditional lendor.

The only other answer is to find private lendors. That have fewer otpions to
get a return on their money. Who are willing to take risk for higher reward.
Anyone with any sense can see the high ROI in lending to a WISP with a good
business strategy, and ultimately that it is less risk.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband