cell over wifi.

Your right T mobile is not an option.

It's ATT.

You would think the cell carriers would have a combo sip cell phone that
when their service is not in range, the phone could connect to a wifi ap
and connect back to the cell companies service via sip.

Thats what I'm looking for. I noticed some phones do this but with
skype, android I think, just was hoping there was news I hadn't heard
that says they have such a phone.