-----Original Message-----
From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of David E. Smith
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:23 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] just attended broadband stimulus seminar and WOW.....

Robert West wrote:
> Why should [big companies] invest
> their cash in building a market when we can do it for them and once it's
> about ripe, they can just walk in and pick it?  We need to do what we can
> protect our little piece of the pie somehow.

A small entrepreneur sees an opportunity, builds something that lots of
people want, makes some money from it, then a larger company buys it and
makes said entrepreneur filthy rich (or at least better-off than he
was). The customers win (they get the benefit of the new network
regardless of who built it), the guy that just cashed out wins, the
bigger company that buys the network wins (they presumably see profit
potential or else they wouldn't buy). I thought this sort of
sweat-equity-for-cash tradeoff was basically the American dream.

I don't see this being a bad thing for anyone involved.

David Smith
MVN.net

REPLY FOLLOWS:

You're overlooking the fact that the larger company is unlikely to buy out
the small entrepreneur.  How many WISPs were bought out when AT&T and
Verizon started really rolling out DSL?  Not many/any?  The fact is that the
larger corporation will drive the entrepreneur out of business by offering
loss-leader teaser rates on their broadband services until the existing
entrepreneurs are squeezed out of the market.  Why pay value for customers
when you can steal them away through unfair competition?

That unfortunately is the American reality.

For the most part, I see this stimulus money as a subsidy which will enable
big players to entrench themselves into new markets with no risk to the big
player but a big cost to any existing/competing businesses.  With that in
mind, WISP need to think of ways that they can tap the government money
without losing their local focus.  WISPs might seriously want to consider
forming cooperatives in which a group of WISPs within a geographic region
enter into a joint venture to expand overall capacity.  Then that joint
venture can apply for stimulus money.

- Larry Yunker