Where are you located?

>4.a  Water towers (metal) are usually very well bonded.  They make
>good ground interconnects since they are welded.

This is an almost exact case of my problem location. It is on top of a 66'
water tower that is on a very high elevation for our area. Not the highest
spot, but close. I have found NO ground what-so-ever on this tank. I asked the
water dept. about this tank and they said it was not grounded because they did
not have any equipment on it. They also said it was setting on about 4 ft. of
sand, soaked in oil to keep the bottom of the tank from rusting. They would not
let us install an electrical entrance close, so we had to bury conduit with
ethernet run through it about 100' from the base of the tank to the electrical
pole where all our equipment is installed.

On the first hit, we had Moto's SS surges installed bonded to the electrical
ground. Did not help. After our first hit, we grounded all our metal conduit
that the cat5 runs through from top of the tank to bottom with ground rods at
the bottom of the tank. Did not help.

We tried "floating grounds," did not help.

Our next step is to get excessive. We are going to ground the tank ourselves,
connect the tank to the electrical ground to rule out ground loops, install
Polyphaser surge on all equipment, and ground at top and bottom of the tank on
all cat5. Do you guys think this will work?

Scottie