From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of RickG
Sent: Saturday, August 08, 2009 10:20 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 5.8GHz Link Loss

Which definition of scintillation applies?

Definitions of scintillation on the Web:

    * (physics) a flash of light that is produced in a phosphor when
it absorbs a photon or ionizing particle
    * twinkle: a rapid change in brightness; a brief spark or flash
    * a brilliant display of wit
    * glitter: the quality of shining with a bright reflected light
    * the twinkling of the stars caused when changes in the density of
the earth's atmosphere produce uneven refraction of starlight
      wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

    * Scintillation or twinkling are generic terms for rapid
variations in apparent brightness or color of a distant luminous
object viewed through the atmosphere.
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillation_(astronomy)

    * Scintillating scotoma is the most common visual aura preceding
migraine and was first described by 19th century physician Hubert Airy
(1838-1903).
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillation_(medicine)

    * Scintillation is a fluctuation in the amplitude of a target on a
radar display. It is closely related to target glint, or wander, an
apparent displacement of the target from its mean position. ...
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillation_(radar)

    * Scintillation is a flash of light produced in a transparent
material by an ionization event. See scintillator and scintillation
counter for ...
      en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillation_(physics)

    * A flash of light; a spark; The twinkling of a star caused by
turbulence in the Earth's atmosphere; The flash of light produced by a
phosphor ...
      en.wiktionary.org/wiki/scintillation

    * scintillate - give off; "the substance scintillated sparks and
flashes"
    * scintillate - sparkle: reflect brightly; "Unquarried marble
sparkled on the hillside"
    * scintillate - twinkle: emit or reflect light in a flickering
manner; "Does a constellation twinkle more brightly than a single
star?"
    * scintillate - physics: fluoresce momentarily when struck by a
charged particle or high-energy photon; "the phosphor fluoresced"
      wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

    * scintillating - brilliantly clever; "scintillating wit"; "a play
full of scintillating dialogue"

----

----