Scintillation effects cause the radio signals to be
refracted.  Scintillation is a real world concern for those building
microwave links *ESPECIALLY* if the scintillation off of a warm
surface is in the fresnel zone of the link, like in my install over a
flat roof.  The dish was at least 10 feet off the surface of that
roof, but shooting over probably 300 feet of flat rubber
membrane.  Scintillation every afternoon trashed the link until we
raised the dish a few feet.