----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Rice" <paul.r...@boomerang-networks.com>
To: <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 9:55 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] solar site

> Hi Marlon,
>
> Solar isn't that hard we just need to look at a details to figure out what
> is required and move on from there
> here are details to figure out about solar to make sure it works right
>
> 1.  figure out how many watt-hours a day he will need for MT radio.
> Average and maximum watt-hours

I have a site with 1 starOS, 3 MT with 4 radios (total), 2 alvarion vl, 1
trango 5830, 1 SB ap, Cisco 16 port managed switch and an Airaya backhaul.
According to the digital logger at the site I'm pulling a total of about 1.8
amps.

> 2. what voltage he needs for his radios

12

> 3.  latitude of the site

Zip is 99159

> 4. Average low temperature (how cold does it get)

I've seen -30.  -10 is common.

> 5. Does the radio site have an unobstructed view of the Sun's path through
> the sky?

Oh yeah.

> 6. Other stuff, like physical security,

None

> 7. back up battery capacity (how many days operation without charging (for
> fog or cloudy days, or low sun availability - winter.) Your message stated
> that there were few of those days.

If we could go a couple of days that should be just fine for starters.  This
will only service 5 or so households.

> 8. And depending on difficulty of reaching the site, what PMI interval
> would be desired. (affects component and battery choices.)

We'll likely run optima deep cycle batteries.  They've worked great for all
of the trenchers, dozers, backhoes, boats and other stuff we have around the
farm.

> 9. And what kind of OOB management and remote reset capabilities are
> desired. (cellular access, for example)

Nothing needed.  The locals can drive up the hill and reset things if need
be.  Luckily that's VERY rare with the MT gear anyway.

> I've used Talley in the past for solar in the past.  You can give them the
> details and they'll spec it, quote it, and build it it for you
> Albert Esquer [aesq...@talleycom.com] is the gentleman I've worked with
> while at Invensys

Thanks,
marlon