48VDC equipment is almost always carrier-class and that is where
the expense is.  That isn't quite the same as having a 48VDC power
plant with non carrier-class equipment running on it.

What is really absurd is converting a 12/24/48VDC battery plant to
120VAC to feed a piece of equipment that is going to convert it
back down to 5VDC and 12VDC using a reasonably reliable but highly
inefficient computer type switching power supply.

Cisco and Motorola make some of the most power-inefficient networking
and radio equipment on the market.

No big deal when you are on the grid.  But a real big deal when you
are not.  I guess off-grid sites are just too tiny a portion of their
market to worry about.

-Christopher Erickson
Network Design Engineer
5432 E. Northern Lights Blvd., Suite 529
Anchorage, AK 99508
N61?11.710' W149?46.723'