On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 08:06:57AM -0700, Marlon K. Schafer wrote:
> I sure can't understand why the IEEE is dragging it's feet on a standard
> that covers ALL unlicensed!  DUHHHHHHHH
>
> We've been stuck with WiFi devices for how long now?  What we need, today,
> is a good polling system and more noise mitigation techniques.
>
> It seems to me that someone (the manufacturers, WISPA, whoever) should start
> up their own standards effort and get this ball moving.  IEEE is too big to
> be useful anymore.
>
> Basically ONE guy came up with AC electricity and it's standard.  All it

Tesla had Westinghouse as both a manufacturer and likely the deployer as
well.

Sidepoint.... Some of the wireless equipment vendors would likely create
a superior product faster if they ran a modest sustainable WISP just big
enough for real world product testing. Too often we see marketing photos
of gear installed outdoors with shiny bare N connectors, indoor
unshielded cat5 on the pole, etc...

Ford pretty well singlehandedly standardized LHD with the model T.

If it's a standard that's not secretive (like many software formats), I
think industry is more than capable of singlehandedly creating a
useful standard.

> would take is one manufacturer to cheaply license a good protocol and we'd
> be off and running.  Look at the successes that are coming from the Linux
> GNU model.  OR all of the iPhone apps.
>
> Everyone thinks first about the money, second about the consumer.  I can't
> wait till all of those Harvard grads from the 70s and 80s are out on their
> tails.  Those idiots are killing soooooo many good industries and companies.
>
> Before anyone dares say that helping the community isn't useful, research
> how the WISP industry grew from 1999 to 2005 or so.  Look into guys like
> Jaime Solarza, Patrick Leary, Alan Masallis, Bob Moldashel, Joe D'Andrea,
> Mike Anderson, Stuart Pierce, John Scrivner, Bob Kirkpatrick and a handful
> of others.  A few people telling anyone that would listen how to do
> something new.
>
> Laters,
> marlon

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/