I'm also not in favor of any deal, that forces a participant into a destiny
they don't untimately ahve control of, or where they lose control of how
they evaluate their local value when they reach the exit stage. For example,
one subsidiary may easilly justify a return with a 1x sale, but another may
easilly be able to justify a 3x sale. When all areas are lunped in as one,
the sale price of teh one has to get averaged out, and those that have more
value will get underpaid for their value. And when that doesn;t occur, there
is always in-fighting because everyone thinks there own network is more
value than the next guy's.

As well, I'm never in favor of a plan that is not very clear on what the
poteital subsidiary gains for joining. Volume discounts rarely translates to
value anywhere near the value of lossing independant control of one's
company. And we all know, a subsidiary is controlless, unless the deal
allows the subsidiary majority control of its portion, and able to opt out
at anytime proportional to a pre-defined arangement.
.
For a deal to be worthy, they master Company/Buyer must commit what they are
going to give. For example, most historical deals that ahve failed are made
simlar to...
"If you make these revenue goals or subscriber counts in X time, we'll
invest this amoutn of money or pay you this amount". This still firces the
aquired entity to assume all teh risk.

For the deal to be good it should be.... " We commit to investing this
amount of cash, and that dollar amount is given in trade for X number of
shares, and that dollar amount is equivellent to the amount of cash small
WISP already invested or greater, and then we all split the upside at X
rate, and small WISP maintains all control until such time that the master
corp makes a contribution greater than the small WISP, and WISP may opt to
accept or deny further investment from Master Corp."

I can do volume buying in coops without compromising my company ownership.
I can opt into a group aquisition anytime I an ready to sell my company.

But I just hate the deals that are based on.... Give me your compnay, and Do
this for me, and in return we'll give this back. It makes no sense. It need
to be... Give me what I need that I dont have, and risk it, and in return
I'll give you this back.

>From what I've found Investors always expect to get back much more than can
reasonably be acheived. So the small WISP never meets the goals. And
thesmall WISP never gets their return.

When both parties the buyer and seller, both assume adequate risk and
adeqaute contribution, and adequate percent of upside, there becomes a very
good basis for a deal.
But 90% of all deals fail that basic criteria, and usually end up being the
reason the effort fails.

I usually find the buyer's goals are so much grander than the return the
small WISP was willing to operate his business for.

Deals also tend to work when it merges companies of equivellent size and
value, but its near impossible to protect a joining entity, if they are not
of equal scale. Their rights just get lost in the wash.

The biggest flaw in deals is there is not a compelling enough reason to make
one large company, other than to plan for an exit strategy sale. And most
WISPs benefit more by staying in the business and living off it for a long
number of years.  The money is easy money once the company has reached the
size of profitabilty, why does someone want to sell cheap and start over?
What agregator would pay top dollar, when their goal is to resale and mark
it up?

The bottom line is, until finance companies leigimately are willing to take
risk and invest in the companies themselves, at the stage before the company
has reached scale and needs the cash, they really offer no value.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband