I'd really like to hear some success stories from people using Name brand
900Mhz OFDM, compared to non-OFDM..
Or more importantly, if anyone has had bad experience with Name brand 900Mhz
OFDM, compared to non-OFDM..

I'd also like input from Name Brand OFDM 900Mhz manufacturers regarding what
embedded filering they might have in their radios, to combat noise which is
just about everywhere with 900Mhz.

 Let me explain....

I recognize in a noise free environment, it likely works well, but I'm also
concerned with the amount of after-rain fade 900Mhz has, and what that does
to OFDM and higher QAM modulations that require higher SNR budgets.

Over the last 5 years, I of course have evaluated ALL non-OFDM 900Mhz
products.
I've done most of my OFDM testing with ALL the OEM (Atheros mPCI) brand
900Mhz products.
But I avoided spending the big bucks on Name brand OFDM gear, just to do
Demos.

But in my Live Testing, I'm regularly running into quality issues with the
Oem OFDM products, and the stories all end the same.  Eventually the final
solution is I put a Trango DSSS 900Mhz sector in its place, and then I
finally get consistent quality and gain a happy customer.  Since the
beginning of time, Trango had always been a strong 900Mhz product to "get
the job done" because its ability to work in high noise enviroments, due to
its high quality built-in filtering, which is near equivelent to a Cavity
Filter.   In my experience, I've successfully run quality Trango links at
receive strengths lower than the scanned noise floor, where as with Atheros
running at the noise floor is a formula for prompt dis-association and
sporatic high latency, even w/ the spec sheet showing embedded filtering.
At first, I questioned the OEM OS that included the Atheros, but I've seen
similar results with all OEM OSes.  Please recognize these comments are not
mean to bash any product or promote any specific product. We successfully
use Atheros OEM systems in many locations also.

So what I'm trying to establish is...

Has my experience been fairly compairing DSSS to OFDM, or....
Should the real comparison be about the difference between high quality gear
versus low budget lower quality gear?

Is there an equivellent to a Trango 900Mhz (quality against noise), in OFDM?

Has anyone taken a challenging 900Mhz DSSS deployment
(Canopy/Trango/First-gen Waverider) and successfully upgraded it to OFDM
900Mhz with out loosing significant amount of customers and/or coverage?

And if so, Have you successfully been about to get three Horizonal sectors
colocated? With Trango, we were able to get three horizontal sectors
colocated, wth minimal self-interference as long as we used Titlek high
quality antennas, and had about 10 feet min verticle seperation between
them.  I see that it would be a tougher challenge to accomplish the same
with OFDM that required higher SNR.

Sure the 900Mhz OFDM looks good on a spec sheet or likely good for PTP
links, but now that its 6 months to a year down the road, whats the real
world take for PtMP cell sites?

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
301-515-7774