The problem I've seen in general is that a lot of areas are cherry-
picked. Anything with any reasonable density (say, the Village centers
in a Town) already have access. You can't really make a business case
based on what people can afford to roll out service in many areas out
here because of the geography.

Yet, there's public good, not just individual good, done by providing
access to these folks.

So, yes, I think the stimulus funding can be a good thing. The problem
is, I fear it's going to be co-opted for applications that really
didn't need the funding in the first place.

Chuck

On Oct 8, 2009, at 1:06 PM, Robert West wrote:

> One of my issues is that it isn't necessary.  We make money at this
> business, or at least try to.  If an area is underserved or not
> served,
> that's usually because of middle mile issues or terrain.  It's all
> line of
> sight and no one, not even the people trying to start up a wisp with
> this
> "free" money, are going to put up towers every mile or so just to
> pump a
> signal into a valley with 2 or 3 homes if even that.  So they will
> obviously
> be going for the "easy" areas and those are ones that we can service
> just
> fine already and probably do.  The motivation is profit, it
> shouldn't be
> free money.  As someone mentioned before, the majority of these new
> startups
> will be here and gone and they will no doubt give a black eye to the
> wireless business from their lack of experience and sense of
> responsibility
> to both their customer and the reputation of the industry they
> represent.
>
> The only true Broadband Stimulus would be to open up enough usable
> white
> space spectrum and the market will take care of it from there.
>
> Guaranteed.
>

> Robert West
> Just Micro Digital Services Inc.

--------------
Chuck Bartosch
Clarity Connect, Inc.
200 Pleasant Grove Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 257-8268

"When the stars threw down their spears,
and water'd heaven with their tears,
Did He smile, His work to see?
Did He who made the Lamb make thee?"

 From William Blake's Tiger!, Tiger!