Everything goes to crap, unless you've put in bandwdith management to
address those conditions.
The problem gets worse when  Traffic becomes... Lots of small packets and/or
lots of uploads.
Obviously Peer-to-Peer can have those characteristics.
The bigger problem is NOT fairly sharing bandwidith per sub, but instead
managing based on what percentage of bandwidth his going up versus down.
This can be a problem when Bandwdith mangement is Full Duplex, and Radios
are Half Duplex, and its never certain whether end user traffic is gfoing to
be up or down during the congestion time.
Generally congestion will happen in teh upload direction more, because its
common practice to assume majority of bandwidth use is in teh download
direction, so most providers allocate more bandwdith for download. Therfore
when there is an unsuspecting surge in upload bandwdith, the limited amount
of upload capacity gets saturated sooner.

We took a two prong approach to fix.

1) We used Trango 900Mhz internal bandwidth management, to help. MIRs set to
end user sold full speed, and CIR set really low (maybe 5% of MIR speed).
Primary purpose was to reserve ENOUGH minimal capacity for end users to have
a time slice for uploading.

2) At our first hop router, we setup Fair Weighted Queuing, so every users
gets fair weight to available bandwdith.

With 5.8Ghz, we did not use Bandwdith management on the trango itself.

If you have good queuing, customers rarely ever notice when there is
congestion. They might slow down to 100kbps now and then, but end uses
really dont realize it for most applications, becaue the degragation of
service rarely lasts long because oversubscription is low comparatively to
most ISPs.  Usually end use bandwidth tests will still reach in the 1-1.5
mbps level ranges.  We run about 40-50 users per AP, selling 1mb and 2mb
plans.

 But the key is Queuing.... If you dont have it, when congestion is reached
packet loss occurs, and degregation is much more noticeable by the end user,
because TCP will become way more sporatic in its self-tunning.  We also
learned faster speeds w/ Queuing worked much better than Limiting to slower
speeds. We also learned avoid having  speed plans higher than 60-70% of the
radio speed, to minmiize the damage one person can do.

VIDEO can quickly harm that model for the individual end user doing video,
it prevents the video guy from harming all the other subs. Therefore if
someone complains about speeds, its jsut teh one person that gets
discruntled, not the whole subscriber base..

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband