Yes they can be the cause for numerous reasons.

1) they can start to go flaky, and when gone flaky they can cause hesitent
throughput, (sorta like when a CPU overheats, or when a bus or cache limit
gets exceeded) that will force TCPIP congestion to slow throughput.  Its not
uncommon to have cases where we replace a router with another of the same
brand/model and the speed testing improves by 4x. BUT when this happens it
is because the product had become defective, not because the unit wasn't
originally capable..

2) a 10mbps port does not guarantee that a route can push 10mbps. 10mbps is
just the speed of the NIC itself. Many cheaper or older generation routers
have very slow processors and can slow down with small packet traffic. Not
just processors but memory and bus design. Also, all firmwares might not be
optimize for higher speeds. For example, for GB you might want large network
buffers, where as routers that were developed at the day of 1mbps max DSL,
may have optimized for the typic speed, and used fewer buffers to conserve
RAM, and use less ram to lower costs.

However, MOST routers of current generation are pretty capable, and usually
do fine up at higher speeds.  Also be cautious of using a VPN router,
because it can take quite a bit of overhead to encrypt or compress the
tunnel, and could get slowed at high speed.  The best thing to do is to
certify the peak speed of any Router that you plan to use regularly. Dont
believe the Spec sheet, believe your own Iperf test results.

The issue is how do you tell if a router is flaking out and how can you test
the router's capabilty remotely if a support call arises?
If you dont have a way to test certify it working to spec, how do you know
it is?

This is why we tend to use more power routers when we can. We like them to
have processor powerful enough to run full speed throughput tests directly
to the router.
In other words, A router can always pass much more traffic speeds through
it, than it can actuallu hald directly to or from it.  Having fast
processors in the routers, creating extra headroom, gets aroud this problem.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband