Just a little mad. Antennas and cable do fail. That's something you need to
consider in
your fault tolerance. We've seen stuff fail from pac wireless, gabriel,
superpass, etc..
The whole price range. We've also seen MTI ones fail when struck by lightning.

As far as sectors go, there is often enough overlap that people may be able to
reassociate on the neighboring sector if you can use virtual APs.

We frequently do have a backup backhaul; we leave the old gear in place when we
do a
backhaul upgrade.

Separate UPSs would be good too, as those are often the only thing that gives
in a high
uptime environment.

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 08:04:46PM -0500, Mike wrote:
> I have been thinking of putting together a fully fault tolerant tower setup.
>
> 1 antenna; two radios.  Separate CAT5, separate box. If one radio
> failed, the other would come on-line.  The replacement climb would be
> taken out of the EMERGENCY category.
>
> A complete system would be a 3) 5.8 120 degree sectors, plus 3) 2.4
> (or 900 MHz) degree sectors.  6) small waterproof enclosures would
> contain a router and one of each radio.
>
> I know on some of the MT router boards there is a fan header that
> could be used to energize a relay.  Microwave relays are readily
> available and have acceptable insertion loss.  Would a stripline
> divider like Cameron suggested in another thread be the answer
> instead? Passive solutions are always better.  If the antennas were
> dual-band, wind load on a tower could really be lowered.  Besides
> redundancy, consolidating wind load would be my goal.
>
> Has anybody done anything like this?  Can't seem to find any on the net.
>
> Am I mad?  Mike

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/