Arrg, I respectfully disagree.

Sitting back idle and watching a bank get robbed or a person get mugged, is
it an exceptable answer to say, "I didn't ask for the money for my self" so
its OK to sit idle and watch others create crimes?
Its just as wrong to sit back and watch 7 billion dollars of public money be
spend poorly and given to the wrong people and for wrong purposes without
atleast standing up and trying to influence better ways for it to be spent
and allocated for the purpose it was intended for. I ask for handouts
because I am confident that if I get a handout, I'll spend that money better
and more favorably than the other persons that might have gotten the
handouts. And I'm sure most people that applied for handouts feel the same
way, that they'd spend it better and wiser themselves. We have a
responsibilty to ask for it, and influence who gets it, to help guarantee
its spent wisely. Ignoring the money will not result in the money being
returned, or being well spent. I was very proud of the first half of my
adult life, I did it my way, and never asked for a dime from nobody. But
there became a period in my life when I learn that accepting help is not a
dirty word, and asking for help was an even less dirty word. More good can
be accomplished with a team. Will we get help from the government? Is the
Government the best team member? I really dont know. What I can tell you is
that the chances that I'll ever see a dime of this money is a thousand to
one, but that does not stop me from wanting to be involved, and by going
into it with that acceptance of the odds, there is nothing to loose by
trying. What I can also say is that "its not all about me", or for that
matter you, and whether you or I benefit. Maybe it really is about the
public benefiting. You can preach your anti-government rhetoric all you
want, and there may even be some truth to it, but at the end of the day, I
can guarantee you only one thing. That is $7 billion dollars will be spent.
Because of that, it is inevitable that there will be a percentage of
American and Commuities that will newly gain broadband.  And after
considering the economic development benefit, regardless of the cost and
efficiency of the money spent, there will be an ROI "eventually." At this
stage, I'm not confident if any WISPA member will be helped. But at the end
of the day, I will be proud of the way I spent my time, because I know that
I didn't just sit back and watch, but actually helped increase the chance to
get money in the hands of people that I respect and trust to be most worthy
to spend the money for the public good, and their own.  I'm very interested
to see who Round1 winners end up being. And lobby effort for Round2 has now
started, and WISPA will continue to lead the effort to influence possitive
change, and optimize chances for its members to particpate and gain help.

I believe the same applies to USF. We can stand by and watch, or we can
attempt to influence. And whether or not we become benefactors is not the
only measure of success for our efforts. Sometimes simply influencing
possitive change in some capacity is enough to make it all worth it.

When it comes to USF, one option is to tell them to drop the program, and
stop regulating. But once again, probably not a wise approach. USF is in the
hotseat for a change, and Broadband to Rural America is on the top of the
legislators' and FCC's list, and looking for a way to pay for it. USF is one
way that burdens Tax Payer's less.  Its going to be very convenient to
extend USF to broadband in my opinion. And I wouldn't be surprised if they
try and throw VOIP providers into the list of contributors. If we dont speak
up, the only option is we'll get the shaft.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband