We have a blend of Option 2... All outgoing Port 25 is blocked except for
our mail server, relaying is allowed by authenticated using the users
primary account info (username/password) ON OUR NETWORK ONLY. Postini is
used to filter outbound messages to spam server issues... All inbound to the
network on 25 is blocked... Users can use webmail if they need access off
our network.

This is for residential customers only... Business customers we use firewall
rules (at the premise) to route all mail traffic through our Postini
servers...

We being a cable provider with a bit under 400k users...