From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Chuck Hogg
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:29 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: [WISPA] How do you control outgoing SMTP?

Ok, so we are passing back and forth negatives/positives of our current
SMTP policy, and are looking for answers on what others are doing.  I'm
going to list what we have done, currently doing, and looking for
feedback on what you do...

Option 1.

Block all outgoing port 25 with the exception of your own mail server.
Allow for relaying of all email originating from your network.  You are
now open to viruses that spam on your network, getting you listed as a
spam server.

Option 2.

Block all outgoing port 25 with the exception of your own mail server,
require authentication to send email from your server, using the same
authentication that is being done with POP3/IMAP.  This works fine,
users authenticate, however dictionary attacks leave you open to
spammers taking control of a user account and using you to spam.

Option 3.

Block all outgoing port 25 with the exception of your own mail server,
require authentication to send email from your server, using the same
authentication that is being done with POP3/IMAP.  Require all users who
authenticate to only email using the authenticated email address.  This
works fine, users authenticate, prevents dictionary attacks because now
the spammer has to identify themselves as the email address for the
account they are using, and can't use a simple username as "joe",
meaning user joe has to send as j...@shelbybb.com and know the
j...@shelbybb.com is the full email account.  We host multiple domains,
so j...@shelbywireless.com works but not j...@shelbybb.com for example.
This however also effects people who have outside email accounts as they
can no longer send email using that outside account.  My response here
is that a large amount of hosts use port 587 as the alternate mail
server, and for us that is an acceptable work around that our users will
have to do. This is what we currently do.

Option 4.

Leave Port 25 open setup a rule in the firewall to monitor amount of
messages going through and add to address list when they breach the
threshold.

Regards,

Chuck Hogg

Shelby Broadband