You have to check the specs. The possible problems are high VSWR. Rather than
transiting through the device the radio waves bounce back from the device. This
could damage your transmitter, will reduce your transmitted power, and increase
receive loss (reduced receive signal strength). It's also possible for the
device to maintain a low VSWR (still present a 50 ohm impedance at 5.8GHz) but
be very lossy (reduced transmit power, reduced receive signal strength).

I don't believe the lightning protection benefits are any different between
units for different bands. The difference is how it passes the RF signals
you're trying to pass through it (loss and VSWR).

Greg