Just when I thought I'd seen everything....

We have a customer who lives in a converted missile silo that has been
using our services for a few months. He's an engineer and has been a
real pain in the butt at times when he thinks there is a problem with
his connection. He has no cable, no satellite and no landline or cell
phone service, so he pretty much lives on his $39.95/month Internet
connection and MagicJack VOIP phone - while constantly downloading video
streams. Unfortunately, I had worked with him on another project and has
my cell phone number so he continually calls me at all times if his
connection speed drops below what he thinks it should be at. Before, he
was calling our after-hours tech support line continuously until I told
him that he would be charged for the calls if he kept doing it. We did
identify a backhaul problem at one point, but the rest of the issues
have been localized interference at his location, as no other customers
seem to be affected by it.

Anyway - he calls yesterday on his VOIP phone to tell me that he has
Internet problems. I login to the AP and see that his quality is
terrible (although everyone else on the AP is fine) so I try to tell him
that I'll change the channel. I change the channel and things clean up,
then I logged into his radio to make sure the settings were okay, then
rebooted it. The radio did not come back. So I sent a message to my staff:

"I believe a power cycle will get him back on , but I can’t call him
because he uses that Magic Jack phone. Anyway, in the event that he
reactivates a cold war missile silo signaling system and gets in touch
with tech support, a power cycle should get him back online."

This afternoon, I get a call from a local number, and it is an old man
who is saying something about Matt Larsen calling on the radio having
problems with his Internet. After about five minutes of slow, patient
questions, I finally determine that he is a Ham Radio operator and has
been getting calls from a guy in Kimball wanting to know what is wrong
with the Internet down there. So, in effect, mr. missile silo
reactivated a cold war signaling system (Ham Radio) and I got the
message back to him that he needs to power cycle. Unfortunately, a power
cycle didn't fix the problem, so now I am going across town to the radio
operator's house to see if I can provide reconfigure his CPE over ham
radio.

This should be interesting.

Matt Larsen
vistabeam.com