On Feb 5, 2010, at 11:04 AM, Chuck Bartosch wrote:

> That statement completely ignores history. The tendency of any unconstrained
> capitalist is to form a monopoly. Hell, *I'd* do it if I could ;-). And
> unconstrained capitalism that achieves a monopoly rarely acts in its
> customers own best interests.
>
> If nothing else, it's in our society's interest to prevent monopolies because
> innovation stagnates in a monoploy situation.

It should be every capitalist desire to become a monopolist. The government's
role should be to encourage businesses to innovate and grow towards being a
monopoly while hoping the market has sufficient competition to stop that
ultimate result. If not, then step in to prevent the monopoly from abusing its
position. The government must only set the rules of the game and ensure market
fairness through their rules. The government shouldn't participate in the
market either with its own entity or by picking winners and losers through its
actions.

-Matt