Glenn Kelley | Principle | HostMedic |www.HostMedic.com
  Email: gl...@hostmedic.com
Pplease don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

On Feb 5, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Tom DeReggi wrote:

>> The government has done all it can to push the idea that "if you rent -
>> your a failure"
>
> How is that a bad thing? Financial Stability 101, go buy a home. Every
> family should have a home.
> I'm not critisizing people who have decided renting is better for them,
> there can be many reasons for that.
> But if owning a home is not something possible for the average American, and
> low income person, its a sad situation.
>
>> Let's face it - Loans were written to people that made minimum wage -
>> much like the first Credit card I was given with a 20K limit as a freshman
>> in college without a job.
>
> What planet do you live on?
>
> As the minimum wage HomeOwner drives away from their foreclosed home in
> their BMW....
>
> I can tell in my 20 years of homebuying, Minimum Wage buyers was never an
> option. Sure FHA or HOC type programs might have enabled getting into a home
> with less money down, or subsidized homeownership for needy single parents
> and such. But those aren't the loans getting foreclosed on. The government
> made those home afffordable, even in down economies.
>
> But the minimum wage claim is rediculous.  Heck, I cant even qualify for a
> Home Refinance, and I'm bringing home the 6 digits. The homes getting
> foreclosed on are the big dollar home that were more expensive than the
> buyer can afford with an average paying job. Getting into those homes were
> not minimum wage application processes. They were the show me the 2 years a
> Tax Returns with 6 figured.

You however make way to much to ever even be considered by the "Fair Housing"
and Community Housing folks.
They guarantee you a government loan - with payments as low as $150 /mo  at a
maximum of 5.4% interest.

Take a peek @ how far that got the City of Detroit ...
Take a peek @ how far that got the City of Camden NJ ...
Take a peek @ how far that got the City of Newark

> Homes that are getting foreclosed on are the Elderly. Homes that are 50-80%
> paid off. Where the homeowner can no longer access teh equity, because they
> are looked at a credit risk, because of their age or no longer holds full
> time job living on retirement income.  Where a spouse has died, or where
> they were living on retirement income. Where their County property Tax
> skyrocketed, as neighbor's appraisals skyrocketed in the reaslestate boom,
> to an amount where the Tax payment was more than their original mortgage
> payment used to be.

I argue against minimum wage for this exact reason - lets face it.  If we have
to pay people more - we raise the rates on what we sell and service.
However - the little old lady next door on her retirement income / social
security ... fixed income - basically means -- no raise for them

> The problem was never low income buyers. The problem was the real Estate
> book reached a record high that had no alternative but to crash. Supply and
> Demand became so power full that homes reached price tags that only
> millionaires could afford, and loans were sneaked through anyway.
>
> But the new mortgage loan rules are rediculously conservative. It was the
> unscrupulous lenders that caused the crash, and now honorable prospective
> American home buyers have to pay the penalty.
>
> I can give you an example of one person, that had 75k in the bank, Had 50%
> equity in their home, a Fixed income from a government pension, Never missed
> a payment in 20 years, even had a credit score in the 700s, and was denied
> refinance because they couldn't prove a high enough steady income the year
> before. They want to see a salaried job. They want to see historical Tax
> returns.  If someone is self employed, and does smart accounting to reduce
> their income and tax liabilty, it will likely mean they will no longer
> qualify for home ownership. In the case above the person was a land
> developer, and didn't sell a home the prior year because it made sense to
> hold on to the land until the market picks up to get a larger return.

I can share tons of examples of folks who made next to nothing - but learned to
play the game under the "fair housing" program.

The biggest scam going right now is - folks are buying a cheap house - getting
the $8K - then flipping it to their wife - getting an additional 8K then
flipping it to their 18 yr old son - they get another $8K
to their daughter - yet another $8K

and then - the ability for them to grab a $24K check to give to a bank for the
actual down payment on a different mtg hits

All on the backs of - yes you guessed it.

-
I just had my agent in Ohio ask me about doing this - and wanting to know If I
wanted to back date the purchase for my wife to last year !
Its fraud - wrong - and I said no...

But how many will ?

> The fact is the Government should continue making it easier to obtain homes.
> They just need to tighten up on fraud.

I agree and disagree - fun to be torn like a piece of paper in the wind.

Truth to be told - It is hard for Government to legislate Personal
Responsibility - morally and financially.