Alpha power makes some nice small automatic generators that run off
propane. They are about the size of one of those pad mount battery boxes
that the cable industry uses to back up their outdoor plant. The small
ones are vertically oriented and don't take up much ground space.
Available in 24VDC, 48VDC, and 110 VAC. They are expensive though.

The cheapest prepackaged system that you can (mostly) trust and is not a
hack is the small Generac air cooled line. 8 kW is the smallest and they
will run on natural gas or propane. These can be found for $2000 shipped
with the ATS.

http://zillerelectric.com/Generac_Air_Cooled/Guardian_Generator_5501.html

Patrick Shoemaker
Vector Data Systems LLC