Rick (and others wanting to be PCI compliant)

Ping me off list about this. It's a somewhat complex subject and varies
quite a bit. I've done a fair amount of PCI related work and would be
happy to provide some guidance. While you all know I'm generally very
keen to post to the list and help out, when it comes to security/PCI I'm
extremely touchy, serious and specific.

What I can say on list (in a generic sense that applies to all) is that

1) PCI is very prescriptive. That is it's greatest strength. It's also a
pain when the auditor doesn't understand that you can use 128 or greater
encryption, so using 256 bit is considered uncompliant (is that a word?)

2) Everything in it is good base line security. Most folks that post to
the list seem to have a good handle on mature operational procedures. If
you have Linux or Windows savyness and have followed the vendor security
guidelines (IDS/IPS/AV/change default passwords/patch on a regular
basis) you are a long way towards being PCI compliant.